01691 626262

Our Heritage


The Tudor Griffiths Group is one of the UK's leading independent businesses in the supply of construction materials and building supplies, ready-mixed concrete, skip hire, waste management and recycling.

After more than 140 years it is still owned and managed by the Griffiths Family who live near Oswestry, in North Shropshire. The current Chairman is Mr W M (Billy) Griffiths and the Managing Director is his son, Tudor Griffiths, who is named after Billy's father, who died in 1977.

The start of it all... The involvement of the Tudor Griffiths Group with the building industry dates back to the second half of the 19th century, to a time when parliament was dominated by

Gladstone and Disraeli and the British Empire controlled much of the land area of the world. In the countryside, steam-powered traction engines were beginning to appear, causing the work force to move into towns and cities.

In the village of Knockin, near Oswestry a family called Griffiths ran a grocery shop. At the age of 25, William Griffiths decided that he would set himself up as a builder working for local farms and estate owners.

The year was 1874, William established his business in nearby Kinnerley, where he started his own brickyard making bricks and drainage pipes.

Letter heading
Established
  • 1879
    William won contract to build the United Reform Church at Dovaston.
  • 1881
    Awarded contract to build the Baptist Chapel in Newtown. The main chapel seated 1,100 people and in addition there were 12 classrooms and a large hall. Excluding cathedrals it is still considered to be the largest ecclesiastical building in Wales.
  • 1884
    William Henry Griffiths born, son of William Griffiths.
  • 1890
    William Griffiths moved his business to Ellesmere and transferred his brick making activities to Elson, the site of the present day ETC Sawmills.
  • 1906
    The minutes of the Trustees of Ellesmere Methodist Church record that the contract for a new chapel was awarded to W Griffiths & Sons at a price of £1,493 17s 10d, plus an additional £70 for the cost of the wood floors.
  • 1907
    William Henry Griffiths, son of William Griffiths emigrated to Calgary, Canada, where he formed his own construction business.
  • 1915
    William Henry Griffiths came back from Canada and started a new building business in Ellesmere with his brothers Tom and Fred, called Griffiths Bros. The business was based alongside the former Smithfield, behind Brownlow Road.
  • 1918
    Tudor Griffiths Snr was born, son of William Henry Griffiths.
  • 1927
    William Griffiths Died.
  • 1930
    William Henry Griffiths moved to Aston Farm and imported some of the first Canadian Holstein cattle into the UK.
  • 1932
    William Henry’s son Tudor Griffiths started as an apprentice bricklayer with Griffiths Bros.
  • 1935
    William Henry acquired lease of the Sand & Gravel pit at Wood Lane and the pit was mechanised initially with steam engines to increase production.
  • 1939
    With the threat of war output from Wood Lane reached 1,000 tons per day to supply sand & gravel for the building of army camps, ammunition dumps and airfields.
  • 1941
    William Michael (Billy) Griffiths, son of Tudor Griffiths, was born.
  • 1946
    Tudor Griffiths started a plant hire business to provide machines to assist in the post war rebuilding programme.
  • 1956
    William Henry handed over the running of Wood Lane to Tudor Griffiths. Tudor's son Billy left school and joined the company at this time.
  • 1960
    A Concrete Plant, supplied by Road Machines, was erected by quarry staff at Wood Lane, at that time it was the most westerly concrete plant in the Midlands and served all Mid and North Wales.
  • 1962
    Major investment programme undertaken to modernise and automate the sand & gravel production process. This modernisation took nearly two years to complete.
  • 1964
    Supplied sand & gravel to the construction of the Clywedog Dam at Llanidloes, at that time it was the largest mass concrete dam in Britain.
  • 1966
    The 800 acre Frankton Estate near Ellesmere was purchased.
  • 1968
    Tudor Griffiths, son of Billy Griffiths was born.
  • 1968
    Ellesmere Agricultural Supply Co was purchased as first builders merchants business.
  • 1970
    Waste Skip Hire business established.
  • 1973
    Concrete Plant at Black Park Road, Whitchurch was opened.
  • 1977
    Tattenhall Brick & Pipe Company, near Chester was purchased and became the site for second builders merchants. Also Concrete Plant opened at Welshpool trading under the Powys Concrete banner.
  • 1977
    Tudor Griffiths Senior passed away.
  • 1981
    Endangered breed of Lleyn sheep taken up by W M Griffiths Farms.
  • 1981
    Concrete Plant opened at Oswestry.
    Started a fuel distribution business, which became known as Swan Petroleum.
  • 1982
    Cim Farm at Abersoch & Hisland Farm, near Oswestry purchased
  • 1982
    Third builders merchants depot opened at Northwich
  • 1983
    Waste Transfer Station opened at Tattenhall
  • 1983
    Holiday apartments and touring caravan site established at Cim Farm
  • 1985
    TG Paintspraying Services was established. One of the first contracts was to repaint 100 cement tankers for Tunnel Cement on its change of name to Castle Cement.
  • 1985
    Joy Griffiths established a fold of Highland Cattle.
  • 1988
    All the builders merchants started to trade as TG Builders Merchants and TG Group Brand launched.
  • 1990
    Fourth Branch of TG Builders Merchants opened in Oswestry along with a Waste Transfer Station.
  • 1990
    Nantwich Building Supplies was acquired and became the 5th TG Builders Merchants branch.
    Equity interest acquired in Porthmadog Concrete.
    Sand & Gravel pre-pack plant installed at Wood Lane.
  • 1994
    Concrete Plant on the Prees Industrial Estate purchased from Tarmac, to replace Plant at Whitchurch.
  • 1995
    Further touring caravan site acquired in Abersoch, now known as Trem y Mor (View of the Sea).
  • 2000
    Acquired the BP fuel distribution business and depot at Babbinswood, near Oswestry.
  • 2000
    TG Builders Merchants branch opened in Welshpool.
  • 2006
    Acquisition of Cefn Graianog Quarry, near Caernarfon and Port Penrhyn Sea Dredged Sand Merchanting Business at Bangor on the Menai Straits.
  • 2007
    Dream Patios Brand launched by TG Builders Merchants initially at Northwich.
  • 2009
    TG Waste Services upgraded recycling facilities with the construction of the Materials Recycling Facility at Wood Lane.
  • 2011
    Swan Petroleum sold to NWF.
  • 2012
    TG Electrical Services was launched.
  • 2013
    4 Concrete Plants purchased from Cemex located at Aberystwth, Bangor, Newtown & Wrexham, which meant that TG Concrete now able to offer the supply of concrete from 12 Concrete Plants spread across North & Mid Wales, Shropshire and Cheshire.
  • 2013
    Hardwicks Landscape Centre at Wolverley, near Kidderminster acquired, to create 7th TG Builders Merchants branch.
  • 2016
    TG Builders Merchants open their 8th branch on a six-acre site at Chartwell Park, Bridgnorth.
  • 2016
    TG Concrete launch TG AgriCrete, a range of ready-mixed concrete products designed specifically for the farming industry. They also unveil their unique 'Moo mixer' concrete truck, in a pledge of solidarity with local dairy farmers.
  • 2017
    The TG Dream Kitchens & Bathrooms’ showroom has been unveiled at TG Builders’ Merchants, in Oswestry, with over 20 full-sized kitchen and bathroom displays in the 220 sq m store.


Today

Constantly at the forefront of innovation and technical development...

When William Griffiths ventured on his own as a builder in 1874, he could have hardly imagined that the business he was starting-up would be trading over 140 years later, employing more than 250.

Today the Group consists of three principal trading divisions:

> Concrete & Aggregates
> Builders Merchants
> Enviro (which incorporates Skip Hire, Recycling and Renewable Energy)

In addition there are a number of other trading operations, including electrical services, holidays and leisure, shot-blasting and commercial vehicle paint-spraying, farming and land management...etc

These businesses trade out of 30 different premises, supplying an area which covers around 10,000sq miles, across North and Mid Wales, the West Midlands and the North West.

Over the generations it is evident that the Griffiths family has always endeavoured to be in the forefront of innovation and technical development. This has very much been the continuing ethos of Billy Griffiths' son Tudor,now Managing Director, who came back to Shropshire in 1988, after a spell working for an international aggregates and concrete company.

As the business reflects on its heritage, Tudor Griffiths is more aware than ever of the need to continually improve and enhance the operations of the business, so that future generations of his family will be able to maintain THE TUDOR GRIFFITHS GROUP as MARKET LEADERS for the long term.

The current three generations of the Griffiths family

'The current three generations of the Griffiths family, with the TV star Michelle Collins, all playing their part in celebrating the 140 year anniversary.'

Tudor Griffiths speaking

'Tudor Griffiths, speaking at an Open Day at TG Builders Merchants, Oswestry in May 2013.'

Latest News
Newsletter Sign up
Keep up to date, with all the latest news & special offers
Please complete the fields below:
Facebook Twitter